PPP in container
Our goal is to start the pppd daemon in a virtual machine. Then it is possible, for example, to connect to your DSL provider in a VM.
It is necessary to run one of these 3 kernels :
One other thing. I am not 100% sure about this but I think both the host and the container need to be running the same bit version OS. So both need to be 32bit or 64bit. That is what I found the one time I tried this running a 32bit container on a 64bit host.
- ppp modules need to be loaded in the HN :
HN # modprobe ppp_async HN # modprobe ppp_deflate HN # modprobe ppp_mppe HN # lsmod | grep ppp ppp_mppe 6420 2 ppp_deflate 9793 2 zlib_deflate 21977 1 ppp_deflate ppp_async 15169 1 crc_ccitt 6337 1 ppp_async ppp_generic 30165 6 ppp_deflate,ppp_async slhc 10561 1 ppp_generic
- to make these HN changes persistent on reboot create a file called ppp.modules. You can use any name you like but you must give it a .modules extension. The following method and directory location is applicable to CentOS v6. I am not sure about v5. The directory location may be different for that version.
HN # nano /etc/sysconfig/modules/ppp.modules #!/bin/sh /sbin/modprobe ppp_async /sbin/modprobe ppp_deflate /sbin/modprobe ppp_mppe
HN # chmod +x /etc/sysconfig/modules/ppp.modules
- set "ppp" feature for stoppped VE:
HN # vzctl set [VEnumber] --features ppp:on --save
- start VE :
HN # vzctl start [VEnumber]
- Prepare /dev/ppp within VE:
HN # vzctl set [VEnumber] --devices c:108:0:rw --save HN # vzctl exec [VEnumber] mknod /dev/ppp c 108 0 HN # vzctl exec [VEnumber] chmod 600 /dev/ppp
- See if it works (as root):
You should see gibberish in the standard output like
~�}#�!}!}!} }4}"}&} } } } }%}&)Q�}4}'}"}(}"p})
This will go on for about 30 seconds and then you will be returned to a command prompt. If there is an error message instead, something went wrong.
- From that point, you can finish your setup as in a real hardware environment.
- A complete test case for ppp virtualization : one VM as a client, one VM as a server. http://268.bugzilla.openvz.org/attachment.cgi?id=512
- The feature request and discussion in bugzilla : http://bugzilla.openvz.org/show_bug.cgi?id=268