Parallels Virtuozzo Containers is Parallels virtualization and automation solution built on top of OpenVZ. Parallels Virtuozzo Containers provides improvements and additional functionality in the areas of density, management tools, recovery, and other areas. Specific benefits of Parallels Virtuozzo Containers compared to OpenVZ can be found below:
- Higher container density.
- PVC provides efficient memory and file sharing mechanisms enabling higher container density and better performance of containers.
- Easier memory management.
- In addition to User Beancounters, Virtuozzo provides easier-to use memory management settings mechanism called SLM.
- Management tools.
- PVC ships with number of management, monitoring, troubleshooting, and administration tools significantly reducing management, administration, and deployment costs. Specific tools include:
- Parallels Management Console — GUI-based administration, management, monitoring, and provisioning tool.
- Parallels Infrastructure Manager — browser-based administration, management, monitoring, and provisioning tool.
- Number of additional shell utilities.
- Support and maintenance.
- Parallels Virtuozzo Containers is a commercial product supported and maintained by Parallels with options for 24×7 phone support and guarantees on maintenance schedules.
- Advanced recovery, monitoring, and back-up tools.
- Physical-to-Virtual (P2V) and Virtual-to-Physical (V2P) migration tools.
- Those tools allow easy conversion of existing physical machines into a container (and vice-versa) facilitating the adoption of virtualized infrastructure.
- Common client-server XML-based management API.
- API allows easily integration of Parallels Virtuozzo Containers into existing management infrastructure and development of additional management and monitoring modules.
- Traffic accounting tools.
- These tools enable bandwidth management and control for individual containers and provide additional security mechanisms for containers running on the same host.
Other benefits of Parallels Virtuozzo Containers
- Integration with Parallels Plesk Control Panel solution.
- Discounts on Plesk licenses.
- Name-based hosting (no need for public IP for each container).
- Easy to use installation utility.