Mini-summit proposal: Linux Kernel Containers Developer Summit
Namespaces, containers, cgroups, and container checkpoint/restart.
Development for namespaces and cgroups is well underway in the mainline kernel. To keep momentum going and keep the loosely knit teams of developers well-coordinated, a physical meeting in which to discuss future development plans is needed. Additionally, we are at a point where crucial decisions about the nature of a "container object" and about the checkpoint/restart design need to be made.
A final set of topics will be decided upon through mailing lists ahead of time, but potential topics include:
- Handling filesystem/namespace synchronization
- Handling of /proc and /sysfs within containers
- Additional needed namespaces (i.e. device namespace)
- Nature of a 'container' — kernel object or userspace fiction
- Cgroup implementation
- Additional cgroups and their design
- Resource management
- How to initiate and synchronize checkpoint/restart
- How to enter a 'container'
(Debating whether to: 1. switch to one moderator for each, 2. use non-experts for moderators so the experts are more free to argue...)
- Namespaces/containers: Serge Hallyn, Cedric Le Goater
- Cgroups and resource management: Paul Menage, Balbir Singh
- Checkpoint/restart: Dave Hansen, Cedric Le Goater
Expected Time Required
Number of Attendees
- Projector and screen
- Network access
- Power for laptops
- doughnuts and croissants for participants